Thursday, January 16, 2014

How this all started...

So I was introduced to Face-Off halfway through the first season. My then-girlfriend and I were hooked and would always dream up how we would have created the characters or do our own critiques of the works.

I was behind an episode or two, so in one of our lectures, our professor gave us a work day, so I just watched the episodes on Hulu. Several of my friends, also creative-minded individuals, gathered to watch it with me.

Suddenly, our whole floor was addicted to this show, and by the time the next season started, I'm shocked that we got any work done.

Let me make this abundantly clear:
I have never tried to scuplt nor create a real prosthetic make-up

Yet in my head, I found myself coming up with interesting character designs while watching each new challenge the contestants were faced with.

I began sketching out characters or re-doing the make-ups that I thought were poorly done on the show. This was my quiet little nerdy hobby and no one really paid any attention.

Fastforward about two years, and I am Fandomfest in Kentucky. I had never been to a con before, but I was geeking out: Stan Lee, Jason David Frank, and William Shatner; who wouldn't?!?
And then I find out...Beki, RJ, and House are going to be there.

So I'm casually hanging out in the hallway, and who do I see? Beki Ingram.

I introduce myself and tell her how much I enjoyed her works on the show. She was like "Aw thanks! I'm gonna get some coffee, do you wanna like chill?"

I thought I died and went to nerd-heaven.

So then I go into this like horror-ish part of Fandomfest in this smaller convention room. There are all sorts of people in there with their indy horror flicks and masks; all kinds of creepy stuff.

And they have this whole other side with a huge Face-Off banner and make-up kits where RJ and House were sitting.

And there was no one around...
WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!?!?


So I ended up casually hanging out with all three of them for probably two hours, with very few other people coming by. I asked them all sorts of questions, and all of them were very nice, down-to-earth people. I was so happy to have met all of them.

I tried my best not to geek out on them, but I had held it in, and it just word-vomited itself out of me.

I told them how I pause the show when they get the Spotlight Challenge and sketch out my designs for the character that I would create. All of them thought that was such a need way to interact with the show.

This is what started it...
All of them gave me their business cards, and when RJ gave me his, he told me to email him my sketches weekly as Season 5 was on because he had returned as a veteran. He wanted to see how our designs woudl compare and said he would give me feedback.

I was over the moon! I did that every single week, and always looked forward to his response and feedback.

Since then, I have been in touch with the producer of the show, as well as the Graphic Designer, both of whom were nice enough to answer questions about the show and their experiences with it.

It has been awesome to interact with the show like this, even in my own personal way, and I hope to keep this up for all the seasons to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment