Monday, February 24, 2014

Cryptic Creatures, 6.6

The challenge: Pick a geographic location, and create the cryptid that has been sighted in that area.




My concept: Since the competitors picked locations of cryptids without necessarily knowing what would be chosen, I decided to do that with my friends on Facebook and Twitter. I made a map with 10 locations (9 & 10 got cut off though) and allowed everyone to vote. Of course, everyone thought "Big Foot" and "Nessie" were going to be choices, but I went for some of the more obscure Cryptids.

I got a lot of feedback from it, so I decided to do the top 3 choices, which were the Kelpie of Scottland, Mongolian Death Worm, and the Jersey Devil.





I tried to stick as accurately to the description as possible, despite how absurd some of the details were on these creatures. It was fun to be able to create these unique characters, and I hope they would make for interesting characters.

BTW The Death Worm is like iteration 400...it was very difficult not to accidentally have the silhouette look...inappropriate. However, if this tube-suit was constructed, I would give it the ability to shoot liquid from a hose in the mouth, and have LEDs in the sides of the costume to "electrify" the look.


No comments:

Post a Comment