Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Dragon's Breath, 6.3

The challenge: Create a dragon character inspired by the elemental battle damage on a particular shield.



My concept: My shield was weathered by sand blasts. Even though snakes typically are associated with some sort of toxic property, I wanted to  incorporate cobra elements into my dragon, and make him very Egyptian inspired to draw on his sand powers. As I got into it, I was reminded of a myth involving the sun god Ra fighting a serpent dragon named Apep. This fit perfectly into my challenge, so I tried to make him a little more regal and powerful looking as if this beast were the lord of the underworld living just under the horizon.

I was surprised several contestants went straight for wings and did not think of tails. Since my character was more "snake" like than some of the others, I thought a large tail would be very appropriate...but I went ahead and added wings anyways. I wanted his wings to almost look like sails as if he would glide on the winds over the sands.





No comments:

Post a Comment