Monday, April 14, 2014

Bloodsuckers, 6.13

The challenge: Based on legends from around the world, create a vampiric creature with an added ability.


My concept: For my legend, I pulled from India and found the "Brahmaparusha". This creature is pretty disgusting: It stalks humans in the night and slays them with its claws and bite. It drains all of the blood out of their bodies into a skull that it then drinks the blood out of. After this, it devours the brain and then wears the intestines of its victim around its head...not a pretty picture. I tried to stay true to the legend and add an Indian flair to its head formation. However, the Brahmaparusha didn't have many bat-like abilities and since that is traditional in Western vampire legends, I wanted to tie those two cultures together. For my abilities, I added bad like flaps of skin under the arms and extended the pointer finger. He uses this finger like a sickle to slice the sternum open and pull out the intestines.


Definitely a more gruesome character, but one that I would be interested to elaborate on. I wish he was a little more vampiric, but those Eastern vampires are just so different from what we are used to, you have to balance between the culture and the creature.


No comments:

Post a Comment