Monday, February 13, 2017

Monster High, 11.3

When Face Off is your Valentine...


This challenge was definitely a neat episode; while I missed all of Neville's commentary, I enjoyed having a focus group review the ideas for fan-accuracy and quality. Translating characters from toys or cartoons to live-action is becoming increasingly popular, so this was a highly practical challenge for the artists.

While I commend Mission Control Media on an awesome episode, I do wish that they would have considered using younger models; one struggle I had with almost everyone's character was that they looked too mature to play a high school student, even a monster high school student at that. This might have been a neat opportunity to show how an artist will change their application manor when working with models of different ages.


The challenge: 

Create a realistic interpretation of a "Monster High" character ready to star in a live-action feature film.

Our concepts: While it will probably disappoint many of the artists, I don't know much about Monster Hight. However, I watch a bunch of those repaint videos on YouTube, and I am AMAZED at all the cool things people create...gotta love art! SO that being said, I did have some familiarity with the characters.

I chose Venus McFlytrap because I wanted to create a character that had some monster elements but could remain mostly beautiful. I focused the details away from her face and kept any chlorophyl veining on her arms and chest. I decided to stray from the doll a bit (those teeth...yikes) and incorporate more of those venus flytrap shapes, including a second mouth on her neck that I imagine she could feed with. Overall, I wanted her to be grounded: pretty but punky and a whole lot of sass.


Seth brought to life Clawdeen Wolf and brought out that femininity, despite her beast-like qualities. Giving her shorter hair and more practical ears, this character has all the sass and attitude that her doll demands!



Here is a closer look at both of our characters:



SNOW QUEENS!!
Excited to revisit some old concepts; Seth and I did a similar challenge a few winters ago to create our own snowflake-inspired Snow Queens!

                                FACEBOOK          TWITTER          INSTAGRAM

No comments:

Post a Comment