Tuesday, March 7, 2017

11.5 Troubling Transformations/11.6 Wasteland Warriors

You get a double-dose of sketches tonight!


Last week was the opening for a production of Anything Goes that I am performing in, so I missed out on uploading my concepts! Rather than post on a random night, I thought I would save my mad scientist and Mad Max-inspired characters and share both with you this week!

Troubling Transformations


The challenge: 
Inspired by Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, show a transformation from mad scientist to monster caused by an experiment gone wrong.

My concept: I always like to keep characters rooted in reality, so I leaned towards the medical augmentation story and looked to practices from our past. Blood transfusions were studied and abandoned several times throughout history; in the 1600s, scientists used animal blood with little success, and often deadly results for patients. The studies were not picked up again for almost 200 years when there were successful human-to-human transfusions. However, my scientist is convinced that he has perfected the animal blood transfusion and inserts the blood of a lamb into his bloodstream. The results are toxic and result in an anemic reaction, causing him to crave sheep blood and devolve into a predatory monster. I wanted my character to shrivel in size rather than beef up like several seen on the show to show a contrast between human and creature.


Here are my transformation creatures close up:


And now part 2...
Wasteland Warriors

The challenge: 
Taking mechanical parts from post-apocalyptic vehicles, create a driver that would ride on Fury Road in the world of Mad Max.

My concept: First of all...LOVE Mad Max, and I was thrilled with the amazing detail and design that went into the costuming and makeup of this last iteration. Nailed it. I pulled some concept art (I think from the video game) for a post-apocalyptic vehicle with lots of spikes and a gnarly front piece. I pulled a lot of these elements through into the armor of my character and did a burn scar makeup on my road warrior's face and arm. He's a scavenger so I wanted to pull in some vulture-like qualities into his armor and costume. I wanted to keep the makeup aspects subtle to help with the realism...not my best concept or coloring, but hey, it's here.

AND here is a closer look at my wasteland warrior:


This season has been a lot of good learning for me conceptually; I love seeing new ways I can work a paint job or incorporate cool forms into a character and a lot of that comes from you all, so thank you for pushing yourselves and thank you for pushing me.

I'm not a fan of puppets/dolls/clowns/evil toys/etc. so I'm a little scared about this week's challenge...
Be sure to tweet and comment on Instagram!


                                FACEBOOK          TWITTER          INSTAGRAM

No comments:

Post a Comment